One year ago, R approached A about contributing to her blog, and after a few brainstorming emails, The Dating Chronicles shifted from an idea to reality. It’s been a great year and in February (yes, we're (R is!) a little behind schedule), TDC turned one!
It would be easy to think of this column as a birthday, but we discuss dating here, so anniversary it is. Plus, when you think about it, TDC has grown and evolved, just like a relationship, over the past year.
While R and I weren’t able to go to a fancy dinner, or exchange cards and flowers, due to schedules, snow storms like Sparta and now the upcoming Thor, but mostly distance, we’re still grateful for one another and love this bond we’ve formed over a desire to share stories and help our fellow women navigate the Dating Game.
So, in the spirit of sisterhood, we have a few suggestions for anyone about to celebrate an anniversary and may be feeling a little flat in the ideas department.
1. Plan a scavenger hunt »» A has a friend who did this a few years ago. Her friend sent her boyfriend all around campus to find different things that pertained to their relationship. And where did the last clue lead? To her of course! According to A’s friend, the scavenger hunt was a relatively cheap and creative way for both of them to remember the little things they’d done in their relationship up to that point.
2. Write him a love letter »» It’s no secret that the art of letter writing is dying, so grab some stationary and put your feelings down on paper. Not only is this different, but if you save mementos, it’s easy to add to the collection. A also found online a suggestion to write two letters; one for him to open this year, and one for him to open next year.
3. Bring the past into the present »» Do you remember your favorite date? Then recreate it! Wear the same outfit and go to the same places. If you’re feeling up to it, have your guy pick his favorite one too and try doing both in the same day/night.
4. Staycation Anyone? »» Who says you have to make grand plans? If you find it hard to relax together, then just stay home for a night, a weekend, whatever. Order in as much as you want, unplug from the world, and just enjoy being with him. You can still do something romantic without spending a fortune. And let’s be honest, if you want, you’re perfectly within your right to stay in bed all day ;-P
5. Couple’s Massage »» Sometimes it feels like there just aren’t enough hours in the day, which makes it difficult to relax. Book a couple’s massage for the two of you and spend an hour or two together while you relax, unwind and get the rub down you desperately need.
Do you have any ideas you'd like to share? Leave them in the comments below!
And, for anyone about to celebrate, Happy Anniversary from TDC!!