Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Secrets of Teamwork

As many of you already know, I recently started a new job - and am loving it!! 
 
(I am Social Media + PR at a social marketing and design firm, tena.cious. - If you don't already follow, and interact, with us on Facebook you should start today! And, I'm not just saying that because I work there, I have been following and receiving the emails for over a year now and love the content! I couldn't be more happy to be part of such a great and passionate team!)
 
Okay, enough about that.. ;)
But seriously, the gals there are great and the teamwork flow is fantastic. I love being able to bounce ideas off each other, sitting together for brainstorming sessions, simply helping to edit each others written works, etc.

It has made me realize even more how important teamwork truly is.
 
http://instagram.com/p/ntTb00HHkA/

Some important things I have realized, over the years, about teamwork is:

You have to have a safe place. If everyone feels comfortable speaking up and giving, and accepting, constructive criticism you can go far! Don't be afraid to speak up with your thoughts and ideas, take other people's advice and comments to heart and learn from them.

(but, I can't stress this enough - do not take advice and constructive criticism personally!)

Listen to and learn from each other. Everyone is different. Duh, we know this. But really listening to someone can help you learn more about who they are, their style and also teach you something. Even if you don't love or agree with something someone has to say, you still need to listen and give them a fair chance.

Don't jump to say no. This can apply to many things. Two I think of right away are these. Saying yes to more projects and tasks can help you learn more - which makes you a better asset to yourself and your team. Being willing to help out will also come in handy when you are the one who needs to ask for a favor. Who wants to say yes to the gal who never says it herself!? 

And, when someone pitches an idea you are feeling right off the bat, hear them out. Hold back with your immediate judgement, consider the idea and if needed, and appropriate, offer suggestions and solutions on how to make the pitch better. (but, don't be the bossy girl that is impossible to please and impress!)
 
Share the credit. You don't have to deny your own accomplishments and are still allowed to be proud of your achievements, but don't take full credit for something that you worked on with a team. Being able to share the excitement of a happy customer or client is a great feeling and, simply, they deserve the credit too!
 
(example: you get an email from a client thanking you and singing praises for your hard work and what you have produced for them - respond with something like, 'thank you for the kind words. I can't take all the credit as I am part of such a wonderful team, but I will relay your thanks and gratitude to them. I know they will be as happy as I am to hear you are pleased!
 
Don't expect to like everyone. As I mentioned before, everyone is different. You will come across people that you don't immediately (or ever) click with. And, that's okay. You just have to figure out how you will approach your working relationship with said person. Even though there may be times this is difficult, remain positive and neutral and keep a friendly attitude. Your goal is to work together to create something great or complete a project - not to become best friends.

{Image courtesy of: Tena Pettis.}

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Love this! It's so true and I am so glad to hear you're loving your new job. Congratulations :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your support is so awesome! Thank you, Alyssa! xo

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Rachel!! I couldn't agree more with what you mentioned about constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, especially one of my favorite parts - constructive criticism! ;)

      Delete